"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
Roosevelt

Monday, February 7, 2011

Commonality

Today I am not going to write about nutrition, weight or exercise.  Today I am going to write about seeking out people with similar experiences.  I am a strong believer in everything happens for a reason.  Also that there is a reason we meet certain people and go through similar experiences.  Recently I have found a few examples of this in my life.

Since I was first diagnosed with FSGS at 7 years old I struggled to feel normal.  I struggled to find those I could relate to until recently.  It started with one and then I found a group of people with FSGS or family members with FSGS and now I have a whole support group that I can turn to for help, advice, ideas, etc.
I have also found since my dad passed away 2 years ago I find more people around me who have also suffered losses in their lives.  Again unfortunate grounds to have in common but it helps with a sense of normalcy to say they know what I am going through.  They really understand me.

I believe that when character is tested the brightest shine through and humanity bonds together.  People find commonality and sense of belonging when there are others just like them.  Not masses just a few individuals just like them, to feel normal.  Some how I belong.  Some how I am not alone.  Some how it will all be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment